Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why is the third day of training more of a scramble?

I need to get myself a more reliable alarm clock for a start, and not to read until 10 p.m. the night before, in order to get out for the earliest available lanes. I bolted down my breakfast and skipped my shower. Scrubbing the sleep off my face and smoothing my bed-mussed hair into a ponytail, I shoved it under a toque. I discovered it was much less crowded at the pool by 7:40 a.m. but because I felt like I was running late, I felt the need to put on some speed in my workout.

By length 42, I was already impatient to be done. I wavered about whether to stop at 50, but kept pushing. By length 60, my eyes were blurry from the chlorine and my arms and legs pleasantly tired. Up until then I'd had the slow lane to myself but now had to manouver around some newcomers. Should I? Could I keep going?  With one eye on the hot tub, its jets fixed and running again, as my reward, I kept on moving until length #70.

As I soaked in the hot water, letting the jets pummel against my tired muscles, I wondered, why is it so hard to stick to a routine when the results are so satisfying? The first day I jumped in the pool, guns blazing, ready to start tackling this big hurdle of regaining my swim fitness. Signing up for that bronze medallion course was a way to keep me in line, and a first babystep towards my larger fitness goal of completing all 3 lifesaving courses, and surfing next summer. Was it easier that first day because I didn't have any expectation except showing up, no number of lengths in my head to push to and past?

One of the guards was hanging by the hot tub, one eye on the pool, so I asked him about the course. It starts tomorrow. The class runs from 4-8:30 p.m. "It's not all in the pool?" I asked hopefully. "No, it's about half and half, classroom and pool." He said he was volunteering and bubbled enthusiastically about how much he enjoys the chance to teach lifesaving techniques.

I told him I'd worked as a lifeguard and swimming instructor in university and I had enough work experience and more recent first aid training through St. John's ambulance to feel confident about the classroom part. Rusty on swimming and recovering from an injury, I confessed, "It's the lengths I'm worried about - it's a really short time to get in shape."

He pointed out that the current requirements with this pool length is about 24 lengths in 14 minutes (sans flippers, of course) and that I'll have three opportunities, a week apart to make that time. "But you'll need to practice on your own time."

I smiled at that and said I'd already started. "See you tomorrow," I said, anxious to start the rest of my day and with less trepidation about the course than I had felt on waking late this morning.

While it was harder to get started this morning, I'm now radiating with energy, and none of the need to crash like after yesterday's workout. Maybe I can do this after all.

surfergrrrrrl,
signing off


No comments:

Post a Comment