Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rescue me

When I signed up for the Bronze Medallion course, I felt a little like Rocky - Rockette? It was going to take an awful lot of training to make up for the twenty years since the last time I passed Bronze Medallion and to compensate for my weakened back. There would be no running up hundreds of stairs though, since slipping down icy steps is what caused the problem in the first place.

In 4 weeks of training, including 3 actually working out in and in-between the course, I was in the pool every day but one, when I did a little cross-training and canine care with a 3-hour hike with Owl and Wolf on the Chadburn Lake trails. Time out can be just as important as the training.

I was starting to feel a real improvement in my overall energy, core strength and flexibility. Muscles that hadn't stretched for awhile were feeling less rigid, and I had a voracious appetite both for food and to get back into the water every day. Let's face it, I was having fun even while I pushed my body past its limits.

Last weekend I passed the endurance test I had missed the first go-round, doing 20 lengths in 13:50, a minute-ten under the maximum 15. But I still had to make my 6 x 25 metre head up swim, ace the CPR and be able to respond in any rescue scenario the instructors threw at us.

I figured that this week before the exam I would amp it up to twice a day in the pool. I went early mornings and then Tuesday afternoon to practice my head up swim. That night I felt a twinge in my back. Not good. I skipped aquafit class and confined myself to bed rest with the body pillow for support. Propped up in bed, I read the Bronze instruction booklet and studied, memorizing signs and symptoms of various potential problems and all the acronyms for treatment: W-A-R-T-S- warmth, ABCs (airway, breathing, circulation/CPR), rest and reassure the victim, treatment and put them in a semi-prone or semi-sit position.

By Wednesday night I was back in the water. I met a classmate, Sonja at the pool to run through rescue scenarios and then we both joined in on the aquajogging. The belt around my waist felt like a great support but I was good and tired by the end. The next day I was down with a cold and it only got worse heading towards the weekend.

By Friday night I had a case of performance anxiety and a hacking cough, compromising my breathing.
CPR seemed tough despite the fact that I'd had training through St. John's Ambulance less than 2 years ago. It was the little things I missed, so there were some do-overs. But I was determined and kept going back in to try until I got it right. By the time I got in the pool my anxiety level was pretty jacked up. I went straight for my head up swim and made it with five seconds to spare.

I should have felt better with the fitness challenges all taken care of but Friday night, despite drinking only blueberry ginseng tea with no caffeine, I could not sleep. My body was toast but my mind kept racing through the rescuers checklist and the ladder approach until it all swirled around in mind like a bad graphic from a sixties movie.

Saturday I slept in, going back to bed after I got the dogs out and squeezing one last frantic study session in before 3:30 when it was time to leave. Still full from the double veggie burger meant to boost my energy, I picked up a big jug of orange juice and some dried fruit to keep me going through the four and half hours of testing.

Today I didn't shy away from the test, volunteering to be the rescuer as soon as possible and playing my victim roles with relish. I have never had so much fun during an exam and it was hard to sustain the nervousness with some of the rescues they cooked up for us. We had some crazy stuff - harpoon victims, shark attacks, legs ripped off ... it was more gore than Vincent Price used to deliver.

And yes, I passed. The first thing I did after slapping some high fives with my classmates was sign up for Bronze Cross. That's right, it all begins again next week. I can sleep tonight knowing I'm one step closer to being surf-ready for summer.

But tomorrow I'm giving myself the day off.

surfergrrrrrl, signing off