Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sometimes your personal best is just showing up




It's true - I made it to the pool this a.m. Not at 5:30 but I was in the water by 6:40. All this is part of an effort to rev up towards the bronze medallion course that starts this Friday. Long-term goal - surfing this summer, and back on the board with a strong back.

When I walked in this morning the place was packed, apparently with the Glacier Bears swim team practicing their strokes. Nothing like intimidating competition. But it was also a good reminder, in swimming, you compete first with yourself.


"What's the absolute slowest lane?" I asked the coach. He pointed to the far end of the pool, appropriately marked "slow lane."  

I decided the first step is to rebuild my endurance and regain my flexibility. To help with the recovery from my back injury, (my muscles slightly tightened up again yesterday by digging out from a massive snow dump in Whitehorse), I put on flippers. This is a very lo-o-o-o-ng pool.

For many of my lengths I warmed up exercising just legs or just arms, then combined the two, and mixed it up a little using the sidestroke. On my last length, I went full out with the front crawl at top speed for a satisfying finish. End result = 50 lengths in 45 minutes. Reward - five minutes in the hot tub and a smile on my face. Oh yeah, and tomorrow I get to do it again.


surfergrrrrrl, signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment