Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Surf's up early


I'm up early to work on my Surf 101 article, trying to describe that aha moment when you realize that riding a wave into the shore is about to become a lifelong passion.

This is something that even the beginning surfer shares with the most professional accomplished competitor - that clicking into place as you stop battling the ocean and harness its power. It's also about harnessing your own power and recognizing that innate connection to nature that allows you to work in harmony with it. It's that moment when you stop wrestling with your own fears and just do it.

Sometimes that's a matter of breaking it down into baby steps. In the ocean that may mean a belly ride on your board instead of standing up, catching the thrill of the ride without pushing beyond your boundaries, but sooner or later you have to get up.

I started my cross-training last night, conquering a fear of not being able to breathe when I run.
I don't know if it's my allergies or lung capacity but apart from short sprints I've never been able to maintain the momentum without gasping for air. I have the same problem with long flights of stairs. Those of you who know me know I can hike forever - 7 and 1/2 hour stretch up Golden Horn Mountain no problem, so this time I combined my attempt with a familiar hiking trail for that added comfort factor. I didn't have to think about where I was going - I just had to keep going.

Last night, I did one of my favourite loops in the bush behind my neighbourhood, and I ran a good third of the hour walk. I didn't approach it like a race, expending all my energy in the first burst, but focused on each segment instead. I'll just run until I get to the valley, I'll just run around this corner until I reach the connecting trail ....

Instead of negative self-talk, I encouraged myself - you can do this, this feels okay, keep going, you can go a bit further. I came home energized and excited because it was the furthest I have ever run.

I'll talk more about the different forms of exercise that were suggested to me for cross-training next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment