Tuesday, August 25, 2009

If you're a beginning surfer who doesn't live near the ocean, it can be a challenge to stay in shape for the next time you hit the waves. In fact, according to one estimate, Whitehorse, YT where I live, is 1,911 km away from Tofino. (As the raven flies?) That's where the O'Neill Surf classic will be held in late October:
http://www.surfingvancouverisland.com/surf/newz.htm

As an eager new enthusiast, I'd like to go to see surfing at it's finest and experience that watershed moment - the first time a world qualifying competition has ever been held on Canadian shores. From here, it's only a quick plane ride to Vancouver, a ferry ride and then the Tofino bus: www.tofinobus.com

In the meantime, I've started cross-training slowly with run-walks in the bush 2 minutes away from my neighbourhood bordering the wilderness. Swimming will also become an important part of my regime. But I'll have to wait for the annual maintenance to be completed before I can resume laps at the fantastic pool at the Canada Games Centre. It reopens mid-September: http://www.canadagamescentre.whitehorse.ca/

When I was in Ucluelet, I asked about cross-training to build my core strength, work my arms for paddling and my legs for snap-ups. I learned that the following should all help:
swimming
running and hiking
biking
yoga for stretching
pilates to build muscle
salmon capsules for building lean muscle

I've been looking online for advice and found this article:
http://www.surfitness.com/surflifewomen.htm
I'll share more as I discover it and report in on my progress.

I know I'm not the only surfer in Whitehorse, so if anyone else would like to share their cross-training routine, please comment on this post and it would be great to hear about surfing experiences elsewhere in the world. Personally, I have my sights set on Bali in the future, a wonderful place to escape to warm waves once it hits -40 in the Yukon.

I've been told that Ian Rinn operates a great surf-yoga retreat and have also been dreaming about wwww.surfgoddesss.com

surfergrrrrrl

No comments:

Post a Comment